Breast Reconstruction Surgery (after Breast Cancer) in London United Kingdom by Mr Mark Gittos Surgeon
What is Breast Reconstruction Surgery?
Breast Reconstruction Surgery is performed to restore the breasts to a natural-looking shape, volume, contour or position. Mr Mark Gittos specialises in Breast Reconstructive Surgery which aims to restore our patients’ breast anatomy to an optimal size, shape, position, feel and symmetry.
Mr Mark Gittos has contributed greatly to the field of breast reconstruction surgery. He is an expert at reconstructive breast surgery and cosmetic breast procedures including:
- Breast Augmentation and immediate reconstruction after mastectomy
- Breast Augmentation using quality Breast Implants like Motiva & Mentor
- Breast Lift Procedures like Nipple Lift or Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Revision Breast Surgery or secondary Breast Augmentation
- Surgery to Exchange/Replace or Remove Breast Implants
These standard techniques are useful for the vast majority of women who present with Breast Cancer, Breast Trauma or Problems with Breast Development from birth.
Watch Mr Gittos explain about Breast Reconstruction Surgery after Breast Cancer
What types and techniques for breast reconstruction are popular in London?
There are many different types of breast reconstruction.
- The nipple-sparing/skin sparing method may be an option for suitable patients.
- For breast lift or breast reduction surgery, the Le Jour or “lollipop” Incision method may offer fewer scars.
- For Breast Augmentation, transaxillary or “armpit incision” methods may be an option for some patients (first surgery only).
- For primary insertion and/or removal or exchange of breast implants, an inframmary incision and insertion approach is most popular followed by armpit-incisions for transaxillary breast augmentation patients.
- Breast Reduction may also involve breast liposuction for added benefits such as shaping of the breasts and nearby tissues.
- Breast Reconstruction after Breast Cancer
About Breast Reconstruction Surgeries after Cancer
In the case of Breast Cancer patients we believe in Immediate Skin and Nipple sparing Breast Reconstruction whenever this is a safe option. The aim is for our patient to wake up wearing her bra with a reassuringly natural and even bust.
These operations are performed with the patient asleep (General Anaesthesia) and take several hours to complete. Extra tummy skin and fat may be used for breast reconstruction with the bonus that the patient also has a tighter flatter abdomen afterwards (Tram/DIEP Flap). Expandable breast implants and back muscle/skin(Latissimus Dorsi) may also be used to achieve excellent results. Sometimes the best and final result requires one main procedure and a fine adjustment operation at later date.
Hospital stay is for several days. Occasionally there will be a little bruising, swelling and discomfort for a few days post-op for which we prescribe painkillers, rest and night sedation as required.
Dissolving stitches are usually used, which leave no external marks and do not have to be removed. Weekly follow up appointments are arranged for our patients to ensure everything is healing well, to check that for discomfort and to answer any questions arising from the operation.
Recovery After Breast Reconstruction Surgery
It is very important to relax when you get home and to avoid stretching, pulling, heavy lifting or hard exercise for at least six weeks. The final results may well take 12 months or more to show and it is important to take care of yourself in the early postoperative stages to maximize the surgeon’s efforts and to optimize your result.
What is recovery like after surgery? – It greatly depends upon what surgery you’re having performed.
Normal recovery from these procedures may involve approximately 2 weeks of acute recovery with avoidance of many activities
There is also a period of several weeks to several months before you can resume more strenuous activities such as heavy lifting, challenging sports/gym classes or competitive sports.
Download the Guide to Breast Surgery
How much does breast reconstruction surgery cost in London/United Kingdom?
There is no one set cost for breast surgery as every patient has slightly different anatomy considerations and varying surgery needs.
A custom quote and price range is available through a confidential consultation. There is no expectation or obligation to proceed with surgery should you not wish to proceed.
Payment methods may include bank transfer, credit card or cash and surgery theatre dates must be secured with a partial payment; with full payment required at least 2 weeks prior to your breast surgery theatre date.
Cost of Breast Reconstruction
Visit Mr Mark Gittos Prices and Payment Plan Page for more information about the prices of breast reconstruction surgery.
Further Reading – medical references
- ASPS USA information on Breast Reconstruction
About Mr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – London Plastic Surgeons
Practice locations in London & Essex, UK and Auckland, New Zealand.
With world-wide expertise Mr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Mr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in London UK and Auckland New Zealand. His practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download the Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call in London on 0845 838 6337 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Mr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.