Tummy Tuck Surgery – Abdominoplasty London United Kingdom
- Unhappy with your overhanging belly or sagging tummy skin?
- Infections or Skin chafing under your belly causing discomfort?
- Suffering post-pregnancy issues like back pain or some incontinence?
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A Tummy Tuck procedure or Abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that can improve the appearance, shape and profile of your abdominal area. The treated area includes the belly and waist, helping to reduce fat and excess, loose or saggy skin. The aim of Abdominoplasty Surgery is to remove excess, sagging tummy skin but it may also have other benefits like reducing backpain or incontinence.
Full Abdominoplasty Surgery can also include repair of split tummy muscles post-pregnancy (Diastasis Recti) or a hernia. Mr Mark Gittos is a leading tummy tuck plastic surgeon who specialises in Abdominoplasty surgery or Mummy Makeover (Breast & Tummy Surgery).
Download Mr Mark Gittos’ Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery – Abdominoplasty
Am I a Good Candidate for Abdominoplasty?
- Have you been left with excess, loose skin or persistent bulges around your tummy area following pregnancy?
- Do you have loose tummy skin rolls from weight fluctuations, which diet and exercise alone cannot help?
- Do you have excess or loose skin around your abdomen area as a result of ageing and changes to skin elasticity?
- Do you suffer from reduced body confidence due to bulges and sagging skin around your mid-section?
- Would you like to balance out your physique and overall body shape?
- Do the bulges or skin redundancy around your abdomen area cause you to appear heavier and less fit than you actually are?
- Would you like to repair and gain greater control of your abdominal muscle wall that may have weakened or separated as a result of pregnancy?
Watch Mr Gittos explain Tummy Tuck Surgery
What are the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck Procedure?
- Smoother, Firmer, Flatter or Sculpted Stomach Area
- Greater Abdominal Muscle Control (Improved Core Strength)
- More Clothing Options
- and You’ll benefit from Improved Confidence
Tummy Tuck Before and After Photos
You can See more of our past happy patient photos who have had Tummy Tuck Surgery when you come for a consultation at Mr Gittos’ London Clinic.
What Can I Expect During Tummy Tuck Surgery
A full Tummy Tuck procedure requires a horizontal incision in the area of the pubic hairline. The shape and length of your incision line will determine the degree of correction necessary.
A General Anaesthesia will assist your comfort during Tummy Tuck surgery. Skin is separated from the abdominal wall. The surgeon then draws the muscle and tissue together with stitches. This will narrow your waistline and strengthen the abdominal wall. It can also help correct split abdominal muscles. Sutures, skin adhesives, tapes or clips close the skin incisions from your Tummy Tuck.
SIX Different Types of Tummy Tucks (Abdominoplasty)
There are many types of tummy surgery – each designed for different body shapes, concerns and amounts of excess skin:
- Mini Tummy Tuck – removes a small pouch of skin usually after pregnancy or minor weight loss – when a ‘Skin Only’ Repair is needed.
- Full Tummy Tuck – removes an overhang of skin and repairs abdominal muscles – typically after pregnancy (the most popular Abdominoplasty Surgery – the classic from Ivor Pitanguy))
- Extended Tummy Tuck – removes a large overhang of excess skin with an incision from hip to hip or beyond – usually for significant weight loss patients (Extended Abdominoplasty)
- Belt Lipectomy or Circumferential Abdominoplasty – the incision is made right around the abdomen and removes a large tyre of excess skin and fat – use for massive weight loss patients (Circumferential Abdominoplasty)
- Reverse Tummy Tuck is where the incision is made under the breasts and excess skin is pulled upwards. Quite rarely performed but has been done typically in conjunction with a breast reduction or lift with acceptable results. The right patient selection criteria is absolutely critical – this Reverse Abdominoplasty is rarely performed by surgeons.
- Fleur De Lis (FDL) or Vertical Tummy Tuck – the incision is made around the abdomen like a belt lipectomy with an additional vertical incision in the front to remove even more excess skin in large massive weight loss patients
Recovery after Tummy Tuck Surgery
Post-op medication will minimise any pain after the operation. You’ll need to wear a compression garment up to 6 weeks or longer after your surgery to enhance your results. There are many options for Tummy Tuck post-surgery compression garments. Your Surgeon’s team can help you choose the best one for your body and procedure.
The final results may be obscured by swelling and your inability to stand upright until internal healing is complete. The swelling will begin to minimise within the first two weeks and will continue to improve throughout your recovery.
Be sure to follow your Surgeon’s instructions after surgery to minimise your scars. Don’t do too much too soon!
How long does it take to Recover from Abdominoplasty Surgery?
Abdominoplasty Surgery recovery time depends on the extent of your procedure. A mini tummy tuck has a shorter recovery time than a full abdominoplasty that may include liposuction. It can usually take up to 2 weeks to resume office work and 3-4 weeks to return to more physical activities like exercise.
The general rule, however, is that you should allow 4-6 weeks for recovery following your abdominoplasty surgery. Scar maturation often takes longer, up to a year or more. Be sure you wear your garment as instructed and take advantage of the aftercare we provide to assist you during your healing and recovery.
You will need to work with your Surgeon to allow for adequate and proper healing time. It is important to consult with your Surgeon before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise. Wear your post-operative compression garments for the designated time frames.
You will need after garments. Good results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. Follow instructions given to you by your Surgeon, and attend all post-operative appointments.
How much does a Tummy Tuck Cost? – Tummy Surgery Price & fees
All Abdominoplasty Surgery is customised and Mr Gittos will give you a price for surgery depending on the specific type of procedure you are having, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee (if req) and the hospital fees. We can also provide information on Tummy Tuck Health Insurance and different methods of payment.
Tummy Tuck FAQs – Questions about Abdominoplasty
Do I need a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?
- A mini tummy tuck is ideal for someone at normal body weight, with a small, lower belly overhang called a pooch. If you have excess fat or saggy skin above your belly button, lost a lot of weight, or lost abdominal muscle strength that may have separated as a result of pregnancy you may require a FULL tummy tuck.
Can I claim Tummy Surgery on Health Insurance?
- Your insurance will sometimes offer a minor rebate on some abdominal procedures. This is generally for reconstructive surgery or what is deemed ‘essential’ surgery. This will vary depending on the patient and the procedure required.
Tummy Tuck surgery incurs risks and complications like all invasive surgery. Your Surgeon will make you aware of potential complications during your consultation. This includes general anaesthesia, bleeding (Haematoma), infection, wound healing, deep vein thrombosis, scarring and numbness. Always stay informed and healthy, do not smoke before or after your procedure and read and understand your risks.
Further Reading – Medical references
- ASPS USA – Abdominoplasty Page
How to find a Tummy Tuck Surgeon in London
It is important to research your Surgeon’s qualifications and experience before deciding on your Surgeon. Make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon and seek a second opinion.
Why Choose Mr Mark Gittos Plastic Surgeon?
You can fly overseas to find a cheaper surgeon in another country but not all Surgeons have the same experience or intensive training and testing qualifications. Be sure you learn the differences between a Plastic Surgeon, a General Surgeon, a Dermatologist, a ‘Cosmetic Surgeon’ or other types of Doctor that may perform surgery.
Choosing a Specialist Plastic Surgeon means you are choosing an accredited recognised plastic surgeon that performs surgery in an accredited hospital. The best time to get surgery done right is the first time.
About Mr Mark Gittos FRACS (Plast) – London Plastic Surgeons
Practice locations in London & Essex, UK and Auckland, New Zealand.
With world-wide expertise Mr Gittos is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men & women.
Mr Mark Gittos is a leading Specialist Plastic Surgeon and operates a practice in London UK and Auckland New Zealand. His practice focuses on both surgical and non-surgical procedures, each designed to help restore, improve or change a physical characteristic or problem. The first step in every case is to talk through your personal requirements and explore all the options, before deciding on the most effective solution.
Naturally, before any treatment is begun, we will explain clearly the advantages and risk factors; so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you. Visit the practice to find out more.
Do your Research
- Read the Website and Blogs relevant to your procedure
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
- Download the Guides to Surgery
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Email us or Call in London on 0845 838 6337 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- Book a consultation with Mr Gittos by paying the Consultation Fee
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.